AppNexus Direct for External Demand Partners
This page explains what AppNexus Direct is, our purpose in launching it, and other details helpful to working with AppNexus Direct.
About AppNexus Direct
AppNexus Direct is a new offering from AppNexus that includes inventory that we believe represents the most direct path to supply. This inventory is brought to you directly through the AppNexus SSP technology, and is formed at its core from our direct-to-publisher supply most frequently requested and purchased by our buyers across all formats (display, mobile, video, and native).
Our mission is to provide a safe high-quality easy-to-access marketplace such that no place else can the core of this inventory be purchased with fewer intermediaries taking fees (or adding hops) between the buyer and the inventory owner. This mission of most-direct path to supply is why we have named this offering AppNexus Direct.
The Purpose of AppNexus Direct
In an effort to make buying AppNexus on-platform inventory easier, we are moving towards a concept of “marketplaces” over time. With AppNexus Direct, we are able to streamline the process by which both AppNexus and our partners manage access to supply.
We may be creating multiple marketplaces over time – but began with the inventory from sources that we believe, on the whole, provide the most direct path to supply in order to:
- lower your cost of media (with fewer intermediaries taking a cut of the transaction),
- improve performance metrics (through lower latency and more direct access), and
- ensure a more transparent environment (by requiring confirmation that ad units are provided directly by the owners of the inventory or exclusive representatives).
Seller Selection Criteria
A number of factors go into determining if a seller is eligible for AppNexus Direct, including if the seller owns and operates the inventory they sell, their inventory relationships, inventory quality, size, geographic location, and inventory formats. AppNexus reserves discretion over who is included in AppNexus Direct.
AppNexus Direct includes all inventory formats made available on the AppNexus platform by the included sellers. AppNexus Direct is updated regularly with newly-onboarded inventory sources for which both of the following are true.
- The significant majority (>75%) of a member’s traffic is the most direct path to supply as determined by the following factors:
- The media is owned and operated (O&O) by the seller, and we are integrated with the member with a tag on page (including header bidding, server-of-record relationships, and direct tag in the publisher’s ad server) or through a direct server-side integration.
- Alternately, the seller has an exclusive relationship with the publisher for access to a subset of inventory via a tag on page. The only way to get access to this inventory on AppNexus is through the seller.
- We believe there is a low risk of invalid/fraudulent traffic because of the following:
- We complete an audit of the inventory using our Inventory Quality technology to review for adherence to our policies (e.g. no pornography, nudity, hate speech) and require confirmation that the inventory is both valid and properly represented.
- We require confirmation of the owner of the inventory, even if that inventory is available through an intermediary, along with confirmation that the media owner has approved the network to exclusively re-sell its inventory.
For an up-to-date lists of inventory available via AppNexus Direct please contact your Partner Manager. We also plan on creating ways in the future for you to view this information directly on the AppNexus Wiki – and eventually via the API, as well.
Accessing AppNexus Direct
AppNexus Direct will not appear in the Bidder Service User Interface and will automatically be added to all Bidder Profile whitelists on September 1, 2016 and thereafter. While access to AppNexus Direct will be automatic and will remain as a default setting with no direct ability to unselect this group of inventory, your regional, format, ad size, domain blacklists, and other targeting settings at the seat level will still be fully respected and affect this inventory, as well.
Sellers can be blacklisted using the Bidder Service User Interface. Both sellers and domains can be blacklisted using the API.
Over time, AppNexus Direct and other marketplaces should replace the need to blacklist and whitelist individual sellers and instead move toward a platform where you can blacklist domains, as is the case with most other SSPs. We will communicate with you and solicit feedback each step of the way in order to make this change in ways that make buying on our platform easier and more fruitful for you and your clients.